Sunday, December 9, 2012

Ottawa Ordeal

As of mid '07:     

     I've heard stories about visa officers at American Consulates getting really nasty with interviewees like rejecting a visa petition based on what type of watch the interviewee wears. But this is my first time going through a similar experience. I'd like to share it with you all.
   
     I wait in cold outside the US Embassy on Sussex for two hours. I am told the computers are down and I understand the delay but can't they do something about the people standing outside in the cold? I really don't know what happens when it would start to snow and I don't want to know either. Like any other immigrant; I want be done with paperwork and therefore, I don't complain. I guess they never anticipated a rush of interviewees at consulates.
   
     Now the ordeal starts. My name is called and I approach the interview window. My interviewer starts explaining other employee what to check in a work visa. I've completed a master's degree and I was there to get a work visa. The gentleman starts: "He is a stereotypical applicant, sorry sir, but you are stereotypical IT guy: he has came to study and now he wants to work in this country". I nod my head in approval; he is right, I am not alone in this race, but then its a little bit disturbing for me to be stereotyped so bluntly. "He can be replaced by 100,000 others and probably the company makes him work like a slave". I nod my head from side to side in disapproval and the co-worker says he is disapproving. The interviewer repeats his sentence again and carries on. He tells his co-worker about prevailing wages and other stuff. I don't have one document because it was not mentioned in the application package. Neither did my lawyer told me to keep it with me. I am told in a harsh tone that I was expected to go to my country for the stamping purpose but then I planned of spending a weekend in Canada and then, I was standing at his window. How dare I spend my money as I like it! I am asked to get the missing document by fax and come the next day or whenever I felt like it but not that day because he didn't want to deal with me anymore. My interview is suspended and to be continued some other day.

     I got my visa the next day but that 12 hours were the worst of my life. I was awake making plans to go to my former home in case I don't get a visa. All the time I've missed my family and friends would be useless. The loans, hardships undergone as a graduate student etc. would be fruitless. There will be a new turn in life and which didn't seem very bright. I was just lying there lamenting on the past and dreading the future; really angry for being picked on.

     Yet, I am happy that all my papers are checked for consistency, i.e. I don't get underpaid and I have equal rights and enjoy similar privileges as my colleagues but again, do you have to mock my American dream like that?
Being in the US for 3 years and not experiencing any first hand racism, this interview was a real shocker for me.
   
     But the incident was an eye-opener too. There are many things which define me and I am proud of like a good job, a decent new car, good friends etc. could be gone just like that! I don't deny the fact that slave-driver companies do exist. But they don't exist for me. Luckily, I've managed to stay away from such companies and I do have an awesome job!
   
     I do understand even that you don't want me being treated unequally and I do appreciate your concern but do you have to put in such harsh terms? It would be great if you tell me in your normal talking tone and not shout it out and sort-of-spell-all-the-words to me.

     I see America as my Karma-bhoomi but now I have doubts about my choice of pursuing an American dream.

As of Dec., '12:

     In five years of hind-sight; Ottawa Ordeal seems a non-issue. It is just feels that I was a receiver of frustration caused by other factors outside my control and the dude had to let it out of his system. As of today, I am living my dream :)

No comments: